May 05, 2007

"Playing at Worship"

Last Sunday was Youth Celebration Sunday. The church’s after-school tutoring program and elementary youth group had ended the previous Thursday and Friday, respectively. In worship on Sunday, we recognized these programs – the children who had participated in them, the adults who had led them, and the volunteers who had helped make them possible.

I planned worship and preached. I had the children participate in worship. They were the greeters at the door. They helped to usher. One child led the call to worship. During the offertory, the children offered a worship dance I had taught them over the year. It was a lot of work, but in the end I think things went well.

On Monday, I met with my Supervised Ministry Committee. (We meet monthly to discuss my internship and the work I am doing.) This month we were discussing the youth program. I had helped with it all year. Part of the discussion included a chance for comments on the youth celebration worship service.

A retired minister who sits on my committee said: “If I had known that it was going to be Youth Celebration Sunday, I wouldn’t have come to church. I don’t like those Sundays. It’s just kids ‘playing at worship.’”

I was slightly upset by the comment that night, but conversation moved away from the worship service. However, as I have continued to reflect on the comment, I am more upset and disheartened by the response.

I believe it was not just children “playing at worship” on Sunday. I believe it was children participating in and leading actual worship; I believe it was an opportunity for the children to learn about worship; I believe it was children being given a space to use their gifts in worship too.

Because if children don’t get these opportunities, chances are they might start to think the church doesn’t care if they are there or not. And we wonder why we’re missing so many 18-35 year olds in our churches today …

I can still remember my confirmation Sunday. The confirmation class planned and led the whole service, including the sermon. I was one of four young people who preached on my statement of faith that day. I am so grateful for that experience and support from my church, for that implicit statement of “you matter as a child of God and as a member of this congregation.”

And then, of course, the Presbyterian in me can’t help but point out a few citations from the Book of Order:

• W-1.1001: “… in worship the faithful offer themselves to God and are equipped for God’s service in the world.”

• W-1.4003: “In Jesus Christ, the Church is a royal priesthood in which worship is the work of everyoneno one shall be excluded from participation or leadership in public worship in the Lord’s house on the grounds of race, color, class, age, sex, or handicapping condition.”

• W-3.1003: “… the order for worship should provide for and encourage the participation of all.”

• W-3.1004: “Children bring special gifts to worship and grow in faith through their regular inclusion and participation in the worship of the congregation. Those responsible for planning and leading the participation of children in worship should consider the children’s level of understanding and ability to respond … regular programs of the church should not prevent children’s full participation with the whole congregation in worship.”

Alright, that’s the end of my somewhat coherent rant.

3 comments:

KnittinPreacher said...

Children "play" house, doctor, school, police officer, firefighters, and any other number of games that mimic the adult world. It's a way to try on adult roles and see what appeals and what might fit. I think having the kids "play worship" -- which is not the way your committee memebr meant it -- is of vital importance. It is a chance to try on the roles of preacher, pastor, worship leader, community member, greeter and host. Participating in worship is a way for children to learn who they are in the congregation and embrace their roles as they learn to fill them. It sounds like a wonderful service, and you should be proud.

Anonymous said...

Emily- I share your feelings about this - the children were leading worship - as little children, they shall lead us. Recall the Great Ends of the Church....In Confirmation Class this morning, I listened as the oldest(chronologically) elder/mentor this year spoke about how confirmation is an opportunity for the session/congregation to affirm not ONLY the confirmands, but that we as a congregation are doing what we promise at baptism. If only your committee member might recall that....Keep it up - look ahead - God is already there.
Sarah

Adam Copeland said...

In reality, don't we all just "play church?" Isn't that what worship really is, at its best: holy play. Play for ourselves because we can't help it be that, but mostly play for God for God's sake. I think there's lots of potential in that metaphor.

On another note, I think the parishoner's comment is a good reason NOT to have youth sundays. They become something special, different, and too easily can seem disconnected with the rest of the congregation's worship life. Some of those BOO references you wrote point out that youth should not be helping lead worship once a year, but every Sunday. Have you as part of every worship leading rotation, or further. Privilege them in every worship leading rotation. That way, neither they nor the congregation will feel their leadership is tokenism.