October 21, 2006

Things That Are Saving Me

I just finished Barbara Brown Taylor’s Leaving Church. I loved the book; her honesty is always so refreshing to me. In the last chapter, she discusses a question that she asks others and she continues to answer herself: “What is saving your life now?” BBT lists things like teaching school, observing Sabbath, encountering God in others.

Moving to Florida for a year long internship while the rest of my seminary classmates enter their final year of classes has been difficult. But it's getting easier. I'm finally starting to feel settled into my new home and church. And I'm starting to feel at peace about being here. This is due in part to things that are saving my own life right now:
  • Dance is saving my life right now. Teaching worship dance to the youth group, dropping by regularly at a worship dance group at a local church, and dancing my own prayers.
  • Amazing friends who call, email, and write are saving my life right now.
  • My parents’ recent visit is saving my life right now.
  • Looking forward to a visit to seminary is saving my life right now.
  • And a God who continues to be in the big things and the little details is saving my life right now.

No comments: