October 23, 2006

Things I've Learned

Whilst my seminary friends are in the midst of midterms, papers and projects, I thought I would share some of the things I’ve learned thus far from my internship, although I don’t have to put these learnings in any graded form (yeah!).
  • Being a pastor at a small church sometimes means being the building manager. This means that I now know some things about heating and cooling systems and their maintenance, pest control, garbage removal, roofing, and generators. It also means that I've spent time with the city inspector.
  • When there are mice in the church kitchen, putting all food items in big plastic tubs is a pain, but necessary.
  • Congregation members want you in the office so they can talk to you when they call, but they also want to know why you aren’t out “doing something.”
  • In a congregation with numerous elderly members, if you’re heard by everyone it doesn’t really matter what you say.
  • Having some sort of secretary/administrative assistant makes life much easier. However, since that position at this church has been empty since my arrival, I am now proficient at typing, copying, folding, and stuffing the bulletin; preparing a non-profit mailing; and writing a grant.

No comments: