August 13, 2006

Goodbyes

I am horrible at goodbyes. They are often hard for me. I am an emotional person and so that also means that I tend to cry at goodbyes.

Saying goodbye to my teaching congregation was very difficult this morning. I got choked up as I gave the charge and benediction at the end of the service. During the goodbye luncheon following the service, I cried as my supervising committee presented me with a beautiful quilt that was made and signed by the congregation.



Then at the end of the luncheon, the pastor stood up and said some thank you's and gave me an opportunity to say a few words. I couldn't see the people as my eyes welled up with tears and I stammered something about having learned much from them this summer and missing them deeply when I go. But one congregation member helped to lighten the mood as I was presented with the following:



I truly believe I was sent to this place for just such a time as this. And that time is over now. And I have a wonderful keepsake to remember these people by. But that doesn't make saying goodbye any easier.

3 comments:

bethany said...

I'm so glad that your internship was such a good experience for you!!! Hope your final year at school is a fruitful one.

Sally said...

Looks like you had a wonderful summer- thanks for dropping by my blog- glad your visit introduced me too yours.
May God continue to bless guide and keep you

KnittinPreacher said...

ypu may be leaving them, but I have a feeling they will never leave you! This is a good thing :)