August 16, 2006

There's no place like home ...

It feels weird to be back in my room at seminary. In many ways it doesn’t feel like my home. It doesn’t feel right to not be in Mississippi. I miss that church – those people who are so visibly church in their hospitality and warmth. That place began to feel like home to me and I can’t remember what it was like to live here on-campus.

Perhaps that’s a side effect of moving around so much in the last six years, with college and seminary. There’s no place like home, but I don’t know where that home is for me right now.

It was Laurel, MS this summer – it just felt so right, it was such a good fit. But now I’m physically in Decatur, but not for long. In a few days I’ll fly “home” to Michigan. And really I do still call that going home. But I haven’t stayed there for more than a visit in a few years. And then I move to Florida and I’ll try to construct a home for myself there, with the knowledge that it’ll only be a temporary home.

Maybe this is all to say that I want to be somewhere permanently, but that won’t happen until at least June 2008. So what do I do in the mean time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily!! This is Lauren. We all miss you at church. I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I have enjoyed reading your blog!! Keep in touch!!