July 17, 2006

Did I witness Fort Sumter?

I attended a presbytery meeting last week and I'm scared that I witnessed Fort Sumter. I'm hurting because I realized that for a group of people division and schism seem to be the only solution and the only way forward. And so they aren't afraid to start a war.

They were well prepared for the battle at presbytery and railroaded their overtures about constitutional crisis and ownership of property straight through. And at the end of the three hour meeting, I couldn't believe how much we could fight with our own sisters (what few there are in this area) and brothers in Christ.

I was reminded that the church is a human and therefore broken institution. Yet I still continue to love her and want to work in her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

church schism (or near schism)is about the hardest thing there is. as a former presbyterian, i remember those meetings, those fights. but i was provoked to thought by a prof. here, an episcopalian minister who stated days before the episcopalians had their big meeting a few weeks ago, that "unity is not of God, when unity comes at the cost of not following the gospel."

so there's that...