August 06, 2007

Putt-Putt

I played putt-putt golf with some friends last night. It was still awfully hot and humid at 7pm, but we had a good time anyways. None of us were even close to par ... this course was much more difficult than it looked. And then there were the times when the golf balls went into the water and through the bushes and into the water and backwards and into the water... can you tell we had to fish some balls out of the water? Let's just say it wasn't so much about the accuracy as it was about the fun.

But reflecting on the fun and games from last night, I've realized that I approach life much like I approached the course last night. Whenever we started at a new hole, I always walked around it to the end. I had to see where the final hole was; if there were multiple holes that would shoot my ball out at the end, I wanted to know where it was going to come out. However, one of the friends with whom I was playing often just stepped up and started while I was still investigating the turns and dips and holes (caused me to have to jump a few times). She just figured her ball would come out wherever it was supposed to come out. Me ... I wanted to know ahead of time. I wanted to be able to plan.

2 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I hear you on the "knowing" part, especially when it comes to life stuff. Lots of the daily things I can pretty much go with the flow.

Putt-Putt is my style of golf!

KnittinPreacher said...

What a great metaphor! It will make me think next time I play Putt-putt!