July 14, 2007

Praying for Death

I visited a longtime congregation member this week who is under Hospice care. But she's still eating meals and seems to be holding on.

The visit was difficult and good and many more things all at the same time. She wanted to die about two months ago. And was very weak at that point. But she seems to have regained some strength and she hates that.

She has had a good, full life and is ready to die. But death won't come. I was reminded this morning that "there is a time for every matter under heaven ... a time to be born and a time to die" - Ecclesiastes 3 is part of the reading for the church's Bible in a Year schedule for today.

But this week, I also prayed for that time of death to come for this woman. In fact, we spent a long time in prayer about peace, comfort and death coming soon. It was the first time I had ever prayed for death for someone.

I felt privileged to share those moments with her and hear about her very honest struggle with the end of life. I was humbled by the joke she was able to make in the midst of talking about how her family is dealing with it all. I was honored to share that time with her and sit in that liminal space with her.

3 comments:

Jan said...

I'm so glad you could be with this woman, talking openly and receiving from her. That is good. That is "midwifery" into death. God is using you.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

It is indeed holy ground. Thanks for sharing.

Sista Cala said...

I have had lots of experience w/hospice patients. My mother, my grandmother, and 2 close friends. Praying for death is a difficult thing. praying for life even more difficult, especially when the person has lived a long fulfilled life and is ready to meet the Lord.
Having hospice allows for visiting the sick in a more comfortable environment, and allows clergy the opportunity to minister to the family as well. My prayers are with you as you comfort the ailing and their families.