May 24, 2007

A Life Outside of the Church

Finding and creating a life outside of the church has been really difficult during this yearlong internship. I joined the Y soon after I arrived. That was good for at least getting out of the house. This past spring I was dancing a bit with another local church's worship dance program. That brought me great joy and life.

But right now I'm really struggling with having any kind of life outside of the church. It's easy enough to forget about when things are good and really busy at the church and my work brings me deep gladness. But when things are hard at the church (as they are right now, with three staff resignations and their aftermath) I really need something else in my life. It also doesn't help that I'm now living with two church members until the end of my time here. They are fantastic people, but it makes it even more difficult to have something separate from the church.

And so I'm searching and praying for something else - an activity or group or class or anything that would give me something outside of the church.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any book groups, concert series or outdoor arts stuff?? Museum/arts/music lectures, etc? How much longer are you there??

will smama said...

A constant struggle to be sure... Lord hear our prayers...

KnittinPreacher said...

After a year I am stil searching. It's not easy, and I know how lonley it can be. I'm sending you a hug!

1-4 Grace said...

I have also wished for a group to gather with and have fun. Have not found my nitch yet, but continue to search.
I wish we coudl all get together, but then we woudl only talk of church stuff and if I go anywhere, it finally gets around to my profession and so "church talk" erupts.
I do know that Michaels (craft store, if it is clsoe) has classes.
I am thinking about leanrign to make jewlery. I came up with this oen last night.so, that is on agenda today.
I also wanted to take up ballroom dancing, like on Dancing with The Stars, but our local college wanted you to have a partner. Dang. I guess, my seqined dress, high heels and false eyelashes wil ahve to wait another year!