November 05, 2006

A Halloween Adventure Anecdote

I didn't have any plans for October 31st, so when Mrs. M invited me to dinner on Tuesday evening I accepted. I had been trying to call on Mrs. M for some time, but she's quite busy even though she lives in a retirement community and is in her 90s. I was to meet her at 4:30pm at her apartment. Then we would ride the tram over to the dining hall for 5pm dinner.

I arrived at 4:30 and found her place. I took a quick tour and met the dog before we caught the tram to the dining hall. Upon entering the dining hall, I saw about a dozen people from the church (lots of the older folk in the church live at this particular place). Mrs. M and I had dinner with three others from the church. During dinner, she mentions that there is a Halloween party that evening at 7pm and she would love to have me join her.

(Sidenote: the pastor had been out of the office on vacation for the past 12 days and October 31st was his first day back in the office. It had been a long day of catching up on things. I had only planned on visiting with Mrs. M until 6pm)

However, I figured "why not?" and told Mrs. M that I would stay for the Halloween party. Dinner did end around 6pm. At that time Mrs. M and I went back to her place to walk the dog and visit. I also helped her get into her Halloween costume - a spiderweb pinned to the back of her black sweater.

Now I didn't realize that I would be attending a Halloween party so I didn't have a costume. I had received a pirate's eye patch in a wonderful care package a few days earlier and this would have been the perfect time to wear it, but alas, it sat at home on my dining room table.

Around 7pm, Mrs. M and I catch the tram back to the main building where the party is. The room is all decorated. There is red punch and chocolate dirt desserts. There is a band playing and singing ... there are two members of the band ... they play the accordian and the trumpet ... it is hilarious. There is Halloween bingo and prizes ... it is rather tricky because the squares have such things as one bat, a bat by a pumpkin, or three bats in them ... difficult distinctions for older folk ... there are many false bingo alarms.

I leave the party around 8pm ... it continues until 9pm. I arrive home at my senior citizen condo community which also hosted a Halloween party. Their party is over and they are locking up the clubhouse. I am definitely living in the wrong senior community.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever think it would be possible at your age to to write the words " I am definatley living in the wrong senior community"? Make a list now of the things you want in a senior community so when you are old enough to move to one you will remember you want late halloween parties!

Anonymous said...

how fun! i didn't know you were in florida this year - welcome! i hope things are going well.

bethany said...

!! i didn't know you lived in a senior community. awesome.