August 03, 2006

Being a Rebel

Despite the crazy day of traveling, my annual consultation meetings with my church session and CPM went very well. Both engaged me in great dialogue and challenged me with questions; and more importantly, both approved my move to candidacy. Though I won't officially be a candidate until August 22nd when Presbytery (hopefully!) approves me.

During my meeting with CPM, one man asked me if I thought Jesus was a rebel. I replied, without a second's hesitation, "Yes, absolutely." Then he quickly responded with "Where are you a rebel in your life?" Not a question I was anitcipating during my meeting. I stammered something out about the last sermon I preached that had ruffled some feathers in the congregation. Not very rebellious, but I was thinking on my feet. The man asked what speed I drive. I told him that I usually drive 5 over the speed limit (which is true & in Atlanta traffic it's more like 20 over). This seemed to satsify him. Who would have thought that a CPM would encourage someone to be more of a rebel?!

Truth be told, there's probably not many things to add to driving over the speed limit though. I can be a pretty boring, rule following individual. Though at lunch today, someone did remind me that I do know how to pick locks and have used that skill in the past year. But overall, not much of a rebel. I'll have to work on that ...

No comments: