July 06, 2006

the real reason

"There are things you do because they feel right and they may make no sense and they may make no money and it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other and to eat each other's cooking and say it was good." - Brian Andreas

This may be the real reason I am in Laurel this summer.

It didn't make a whole lot of sense to some people when I announced I was choosing to do my summer internship in a small town in Mississippi, but it felt right to me.

And I have been shown true Southern hospitality and been loved by this congregation. And I have eaten tons of food, including lots of stuff for the first time: crayfish, fried catfish, cajun boiled crab legs, crayfish and cheese grits.

This may have also taught me a real part of being a pastor: to love people and eat their cooking and say it was good.

No comments: