June 17, 2006

So They Think She Can Dance

Since I am without a television for the summer and can't join in the summer show crazes, I thought I would just live the shows instead.

Last night I went to a ballroom dancing studio's weekly social dance and I had a blast. I had never taken ballroom dancing lessons before and didn't really know how to do any of the dances.

The personal information form that I sent to the church at which I am interning lists dance as a hobby/interest. Members of the congregation have assumed that means ballroom dancing (because really, what else would there be?). So I was invited to attend this social dance with the family whose pool house I am staying in.

The first hour of the night was spent learning the basic steps to two dances. Last night there was a disco theme, so first we learned the line dance from Saturday Night Fever. It's simple and a lot of fun; it made me want to rent the movie. Then we learned the hustle - not the line dance, the ballroom variation. After that, it was three hours of dancing! Everybody just dances with each other. Every time I was asked to dance, I had to warn the gentleman that I did not know any of the dances. Every one of them said that doing them was the best way to learn. So last night I learned west coast swing, the waltz, tango, foxtrot, cha cha, samba, and rumba. There's no guarantee I'll remember the basic steps to all these different dances, but who knows. Perhaps by the end of the summer I'll have honed my ballroom dancing skills as well as my ministry skills.

No comments: