December 09, 2007

The Sermon Muse

There are some things I love about preaching:
  • interacting with the text
  • discussing the text with others
  • finding the good news for a specific group of people in a specific place at a specific time
There are some things that are annoying about preaching:
  • being inspired at midnight just as I am about to fall asleep
  • having another great thought come to me while in the shower
Why can't the sermon muse show up when I sit down at the computer and have blocked out time to work on the sermon?

It's not that I'm not grateful for the inspiration of the muse ... I'm just wondering if we could get on the same schedule ...

2 comments:

KnittinPreacher said...

Get very friendly with the rhythms of your sermon muse - -she is not very likely to conform to your schedule! But she shows up which is always a great thing!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Sounds like my sermon muse also. My home church pastor asked me earlier this year, "Have you had the experience of stepping up to the pulpit, being hit with a wonderful sermon interpretation, which the congregation really needs to hear...which is completely opposite of what you had intended to preach"? I answered no. He said, "you will at some point".